Posted on January 18, 2019 at 10:44 am
To automatically keep current config files when doing apt-get install on Debian:
apt-get install nginx -y -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"
You can find more info on Raphael Hertzog’s Blog.
Here are more info about –force-confold and –force-confdef:
confold: If a conffile has been modified and the version in the package did change, always keep the old version without prompting, unless the --force-confdef is also specified, in which case the default action is preferred. confdef: If a conffile has been modified and the version in the package did change, always choose the default action without prompting. If there is no default action it will stop to ask the user unless --force-confnew or --force-confold is also been given, in which case it will use that to decide the final action.
Other conf* options are here:
If a package (i.e php7.3-fpm from Sury) has interactive questions, use this:
export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get install php7.3-fpm -y -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"
Some tutorials online suggest to use also “–force-yes” but:
Force yes; this is a dangerous option that will cause apt to continue without prompting if it is doing something potentially harmful. It should not be used except in very special situations.
So we don’t recommend to use it! More info here:
- PHP Display Date Same as Server HTTP Headers Date
- Google Cloud Load Balancer Firewall Rules
- Create Instance Template out of Disk Snapshot on Google Cloud
- Get User IP Address From Google Cloud Load Balancer
- Connect as Root using WinSCP on Google Cloud Compute Engine
- Become Root on Google Cloud Compute Engine VMs
- Connect to Google Cloud Compute Engine VM via PuTTY SSH
- DigitalOcean Slow, My Experience
- PHP GetHostByAddr() Slow? Make it Faster
- PHP GetHostByName() Slow? Make it Faster
- How to Match Newline with Strpos() in PHP
- Use PHP Strpos() to Check if a String Starts with
- How to Run a Command with Time Limit in Bash Linux
- Unable to extract and upload PackageInfo.xml
- Stop Bad Bots from Crawling Your Website
- DEB.SURY.ORG Updated the Signing Key (March 2019)