Posted on January 18, 2019 at 10:44 am
To automatically keep current config files when doing apt-get install on Debian:
apt-get install nginx -y -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"
You can find more info on Raphael Hertzog’s Blog.
Here are more info about –force-confold and –force-confdef:
confold: If a conffile has been modified and the version in the package did change, always keep the old version without prompting, unless the --force-confdef is also specified, in which case the default action is preferred. confdef: If a conffile has been modified and the version in the package did change, always choose the default action without prompting. If there is no default action it will stop to ask the user unless --force-confnew or --force-confold is also been given, in which case it will use that to decide the final action.
Other conf* options are here:
If a package (i.e php7.3-fpm from Sury) has interactive questions, use this:
export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get install php7.3-fpm -y -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"
Some tutorials online suggest to use also “–force-yes” but:
Force yes; this is a dangerous option that will cause apt to continue without prompting if it is doing something potentially harmful. It should not be used except in very special situations.
So we don’t recommend to use it! More info here:
- PHP Generate Secure Random Passwords
- Google Cloud SQL and Public IP Address Security
- How to use Highlight.js to highlight code
- Nginx HTTP to HTTPS and non-www to www behind Google Load Balancer
- Quota 'IN_USE_ADDRESSES' exceeded. Limit: 8.0 in region
- Only allow Google Load Balancer traffic (Firewall Rules)
- Lost connection during Debian apt-get upgrade
- Bootstrap 3 Navbar with Logo Image
- PHP StrToTime() Returns Incorrect Timestamp '-1 MONTH'
- PHP Correctly Get Last 12 Months (Month per Month)
- Nginx Redirect From a Website to Another Website
- PHP Multi-cURL to Run Parallel cURL Requests (Example)
- Let's Encrypt on Nginx and SSL Grade A+
- Vertically align Facebook and Twitter share buttons
- Download Windows 10 ISO without Media Creation Tool
- DEB.SURY.ORG Updated the Signing Key (March 2019)