Posted on January 18, 2019 at 10:44 am
To automatically keep current config files when doing apt-get install on Debian:
apt-get install nginx -y -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"
You can find more info on Raphael Hertzog’s Blog.
Here are more info about –force-confold and –force-confdef:
confold: If a conffile has been modified and the version in the package did change, always keep the old version without prompting, unless the --force-confdef is also specified, in which case the default action is preferred. confdef: If a conffile has been modified and the version in the package did change, always choose the default action without prompting. If there is no default action it will stop to ask the user unless --force-confnew or --force-confold is also been given, in which case it will use that to decide the final action.
Other conf* options are here:
If a package (i.e php7.3-fpm from Sury) has interactive questions, use this:
export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get install php7.3-fpm -y -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"
Some tutorials online suggest to use also “–force-yes” but:
Force yes; this is a dangerous option that will cause apt to continue without prompting if it is doing something potentially harmful. It should not be used except in very special situations.
So we don’t recommend to use it! More info here:
- Block Paltalk Ads (and Others) via Hosts file
- E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
- How to Validate JSON in PHP
- The program can’t start because VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing
- PHP CURL Download Remote URL to File
- PHP Check if a file was modified more than 1 hour ago
- Linux -bash: Input/output error or -bash: Read-only file system
- Dropzone.js: Drag’n’Drop File Uploads with Image Previews
- Lost connection during Debian apt-get upgrade
- Bootstrap 3 Navbar with Logo Image
- Redis HMGET, HGETALL, HSET, HGET Benchmark
- PHP GetHostByName() Slow? Make it Faster
- Use Timestamp with new DateTime() in PHP
- Calculate Elapsed Time Between Two Dates in PHP
- PHP Display Date Same as Server HTTP Headers Date
- PHP cURL Download Size Limit